As A Young Woman In The Eyes of A Man

...and just like that, I would rather be alone. Somedays, I find myself in need of the company of others. However, I find myself missing the comfort of my own silence in those moments. It is easy for me to be dulled and silenced in a sea of people and that is why God has set me apart. 
The diamond in the rough. Everything about me seems to be ordinary. I want to show the world that I can be extraordinary, but I guess it's just not my turn. 

Men seem to be an easy option. They appear to be there for you when you are down or when you "don't want to be alone." In some cases, men are this way. As a young woman, I know that young men who fan their wings this way only do so because the opportunity is present. They will not always be present in the spirit, but only in the flesh. Because I have learned my lesson, I refuse to continue to fall on the same bump on the floor. This would be nothing short of a waste of time. There is work to be done. 

It is so hard to be friends with men, as a young woman. They see something light, soft, and willing to change. Young women can easily be wrapped around a man's finger---like a ring, but there are many of those. Silver things bent by kind words, hands, and deep voices. Always willing to change until they are not. Then, the voices become deeper, hands less consensual, and words less loving. 

I too have grown weary of playing the role of the submissive woman. Instead of cowering back into the shadows, I will choose to be the young woman that steps out of the dark and into the center stage. Alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

nobody really reads, so I write whatever I'd like to.

A Letter to Annalise

Simultaneous Development--me thinking @2 am